by Loa Lynn McManus, CTS
Are your temp-to-hire assignments ending after a day or two? Are you interested in getting a permanent job? These six tips will help you land your next job as an Apartment Leasing Professional.
Do Your Research.
You should treat every assignment like a working interview, because that’s exactly what it is! Before you go on a traditional interview, you should always do some research on the company you will be interviewing with. This goes the same for temp and temp-to-hire assignments.
Talk to your staffing consultant! He/she is there to help you, and wants you to succeed. The more interest you show in a position, the more confidence your staffing consultant will have in promoting you to their clients.
What to find out prior to your assignment:
- Property Name and Address
- Management Company and how many properties they have in their portfolio
- Number of units
- Web address- visit their website. Check out their floor plans and amenities.
Always Dress Like You’ll Run into Your Ex!
Your first day is your only chance at a first impression. Make it a good one!
- Dress business professional
- Wear natural colored make-up
- Stick with simple, dark colors in your wardrobe
- Cover ALL tattoos
- If you need more examples, feel free to ask your staffing consultant
Be Resourceful. Show Flexibility and Initiative.
Introduce yourself to everyone- and make it a priority to remember their names.
- Find what you’ll need, or ask the right questions.
- What units do they have available?
- Is there a site map?
- Where are the models?
- “What would be the most helpful thing I could do for you today?”
- Be the first to answer the phone, or STAND UP and greet anyone who walks through the door.
4. Don’t have anything to do? Find something!
Always ask if the Property manager or Assistant Property manager has any projects they’d like you to work on.
- Is there filling you could do?
- Are the windows dirty?
- Is the coffee area clean?
5. Don’t Leave Until You’ve Been Released.
- This means during lunch, and at the end of the day.
- DO NOT ask if you can leave. When the manager is ready for you to leave, he/she will tell you!
- Asking to leave is the same as saying, “I’m not interested in this job!”
6. Be Thankful.
- At the end of the day, thank everyone for having you out, and taking time to show you around.
- Let them know you’d love to come back, but don’t be pushy.
- Say something like, “I’d love to help you guys out anytime you need it! I really enjoyed working with ya’ll.”
Follow these six simple tips, and you will be an Apartment Leasing Professional in no time!