Deciding what to wear for an interview can be a very stressful process for both genders. Women, especially, are sometimes judged more severely on their physical appearance which can mean an extra level of anxiety when choosing that perfect, job-landing outfit. Another factor that you have to consider is that your clothes are a big part of what you give as a first impression, so you want to make sure they are “saying” the right things.
Worry no more! We have you covered (literally) with what you should wear to your next interview!
1. The Power Suit: This is the look you want to choose if the job you are going for has a high-pressured, serious environment. You will want to wear minimal makeup and your hair tied back in a bun or twist. This outfit conveys ambition and professionalism. Be careful if the job you are going for has a more laid-back atmosphere because your look may throw your interviewer off if they are dressed much more casual than you are.
2. The Classic: This look is timeless and a safe bet for all interviews. You will want to stick to black/white/gray colors and make sure that your skirt is knee-length or only slightly above. If you are going on many interviews for the same position, you can stick with the same jacket and skirt while changing up the blouse and accessories…keeping this choice cost effective.
3. The Modern: This look can be hard to pull off without a little fashion sense, however if done right it can leave a lasting impression on your interviewer. A statement dress, like the one pictured, paired with some open-toe heels or flats can be very easy to find in stores. This look conveys confidence because it says you are not afraid to go against the norm. Make sure the office in which you are applying has a forward-thinking and modern culture.
4. The Stylish: If you know you are always the best-dressed person in the office, make sure you start that trend in the interview! This look pairs beautiful patterns and colors with eye-catching accessories. Be careful not to over-do it! Your best bet is to find a look on a business-fashion blog and copy it so you know you are hitting all the right marks. This look says you have personality and you will be sure to make a positive impression on your interviewer.
5. The Casual: Don’t let this comfortable choice mislead you, it can be the perfect outfit to land you that job. This look is achieved by pairing the classic professional slacks or skirt with a comfortable, yet stylish, sweater or blouse. This look is perfect for a job that has a business casual atmosphere. Unlike the Modern and The Stylish, this look downplays anything too flashy.
Make sure you put thought into what you will wear to your next interview and do your research on company culture to help guide you! Here’s to looking your best!