Finding competent apartment industry job candidates can be difficult. Here are five key
questions to ask yourself prior to interviewing anyone for an apartment industry job.
1. Are they capable? Will these apartment professionals, such as a leasing consultant, have the necessary skills, experience, and education to successfully get the job done?
2. Will they grow? Does this potential property management employee have the enthusiasm and knowledge to make the extra effort and complete difficult tasks? Do they have a “teachable attitude”? Are they easy to teach and eager to learn? If this candidate is enthusiastic, knowledgeable and has a “teachable attitude”, then this is a sure sign of being competent.
3. Are they adaptable? Is this apartment professional a team player? If it’s a make ready candidate, can they work harmoniously with the Maintenance Supervisor or Apartment Manager in stressful or busy times? Can they adjust to the variety of demands made by residents?
4. What is their character? Do the core values and purpose of your property or management company align with those of your potential hire? Hire Priority puts a lot of value into one’s character and core values. Our values are as follows: Happiness, Integrity, Knowledge and Results. We only hire candidates that are in line with these values. For instance, during the interview process, we may challenge their integrity by asking them to do something as a follow up in a couple days from the interview. Or, we may test their knowledge by asking them to explain a situation where they provided a high level of
customer service. If their values do not align with ours, we won’t hire them.
5. Are they committed? It doesn’t matter if you are hiring for a part-time, full-time or temporary position. You still need to find out if this potential hire is serious about growing with the business. Are they just passing through? Are they always going to be looking for something better? When trying to make a permanent hire, try to gauge their commitment by asking questions about the tenure at their previous jobs. Check professional references from the last few positions and ask them what they did to try to retain your candidate.
Hire Priority Staffing has been serving up competent apartment industry professionals for over 25 years. For more information on finding competent professionals, visit our website at hirepriority.com or call us at 866.906.hire (4473).